Tips for Hiring the Right Flooring Contractor
Finding the right flooring installer can be just as tough as finding the right flooring material for your project. In Nashville, it comes as no secret that the building and construction trades are booming. While that’s great for the local economy, and bodes well for future economic growth, it can be tough on homeowners looking to have top-quality work done. While a kitchen, bathroom, or overall interior renovation may seem like a huge project to a you, it may seem like “small change” to a busy contractor whose eye is on the paycheck and not the job.
Odds are you already have a sense of what you’d like your new floors to look like and have a sense of your budget. If you’re not entirely sure what the best options for your home are, however, working with a local Nashville flooring company can be hugely beneficial. Flooring professionals who live and work near you may be able to suggest options you wouldn’t have otherwise considered, or may be able to make recommendations that better suit your living conditions as well as your personal style.
The Tennessee Department of Commerce and Insurance offers some excellent pointers for hiring reputable contractors and offers some excellent resources on their website. However, finding the right contractor for your job goes beyond licensing and insurance.
We hope you’ll find this checklist helpful as you seek to find the right flooring company for your home.
20 key considerations when hiring a Nashville flooring company are:
- Look for a flooring installer who listens to your ideas and responds thoughtfully.
- Ask potential flooring contractors why they’re in the business and what they enjoy about it.
- Consider how responsive they are to your initial calls and inquiries.
- Look for a flooring company that truly cares about your business and your home and treats you with respect.
- Consider companies that schedule a detailed consultation and recommend several different flooring options for you to review.
- Ask about material delivery dates and acclimatization.
- Find out how quickly the contractor will be able to install your flooring. The best companies will have several professional crews who should be able to do the work in a timely fashion.
- Ask lots of questions! You can learn a lot about a company through their representatives.
- Ask them about the brands they offer and why.
- Make sure that your installer provides a complete walk-through of the final project.
- Always hire a licensed and insured contractors for your flooring project.
- Ask your friends, neighbors, and family members for recommendations.
- Ask to see a portfolio of flooring projects similar to yours.
- Check the flooring company’s recommendations before agreeing to a contract.
- Find out who will be working in your home and who will be supervising them.
- Get at least three bids and consider services included, warranties, and materials.
- Consider the cost, but not at the expense of quality.
- Inquire about warranties on both work and materials
- Always ask for a written contract.
- Never pay cash or pay in full before the work has been completed.
To find the best flooring contractor in Nashville, don’t be afraid to ask the tough questions and trust your instincts! If a company is too busy to be bothered with your business, you don’t want them in your home, anyway. If you’re looking for a flooring contractor with honesty and integrity, consider our checklist, give us a call, and see how we rate.
For a free Nashville flooring installation consultation and estimate, schedule an appointment with Nash Flooring today.